Thursday, May 25, 2017

Greetings

Greetings.  This new blog is something of an experiment.  I’ve run another blog for well over ten years now – yes, back when blogs were cool.  But I eventually found some of my posts on history and current events were not the best fit over there.  So I decided to start this blog where I will focus on history and often also on its application to the creation and writing of history today. 

Warning: I will get political at times.  History and politics can hardly be separated.  Even more dangerous, I will get religious, too. In fact, if you are one of those snowflakes, not just this blog, but the study of history as a whole is really not for you.  Unpleasant, politically incorrect things and lots and lots of religion happened in the past, and that may offend you.  If so, I’m sorry.  I really am.

As for my odd blog name, I choose it in part to be honest about something right up front.  I don’t have a PhD or even a Masters.  Unfortunately, my interest in history deepened at an age where I am close to historic myself!  Because of that, I find it not practical to go for a degree although I have certainly considered it.  I’m something of an old school independent scholar although I do have a bachelors from a prestigious university long ago and have engaged in formal graduate studies more recently.  A hundred years or more ago, a man’s studies could be recognized based on the quality of what he produced even if he did not have lots of embossed pieces of paper to back it up.  Today, it’s the opposite at times.  Today, if you are tenured or a fellow someplace, you can say the most idiotic things, and the chattering classes will listen and nod their heads with respect.  I am not so respectful myself.

Having said all that, I freely confess I am a student of history with much to learn.  I would say the quantity of my studies so far exceed that of a Masters degree holder, but probably fall short of being doctorate worthy for now.  The quality of my studies might be better.  And I do notice some things that few seem to notice (or want to notice) even if they have a showy collection of degrees.  So I hope you will find this blog worth your time.

My format may vary at times.  Sometimes I will opine at length.  At other times, I will simply bring something to your attention.  I will not blog every day, or post for the sake of posting.  I have no desire to waste your time or mine.  One of the advantages of getting old is one realizes the time is short and to be used wisely.  Also, one remembers more history.  So I hope to be of assistance in this area.


Thanks for visiting.  Do come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment