Thursday, June 8, 2017

Tenured Stupidity

I’ve mentioned I’ve pretty much decided not to go for a Masters or a PhD.  Among my reasons are life is short – and at my age, life is that much shorter.  But an additional reason is that degrees from even prestigious universities are becoming more and more worthless.  Take one Dr. Joyce E. Chaplin of Harvard – please.  She recently tweeted this:

The USA, created by int'l community in Treaty of Paris in 1783, betrays int'l community by withdrawing from ‪#parisclimateagreement today

This from someone who is not only tenured at Harvard, but who, as mentioned on her twitter profile, chairs American Studies at Harvard and is the James Duncan Phillips Professor of History.  How impressive!

Now I thought we declared our independence in 1776, then we fought for it.  I thought that was how the U.S.A. was created.  But I am just a bumpkin with a Bachelors from Duke.  I don’t teach History at Haaavard.

Her tweet is just one instance that indicates that the quality of higher education in the West is on a downward spiral.  The value of degrees awarded by Harvard etc. are spiraling downward as well.  So why become an academic drudge and sacrifice a few years of my remaining life to chase more degrees?  I know some have no choice if they are to pursue their chosen careers.  I do have a choice and have made it.


The brilliant and bawdy Ace of Spades blog has more on Dr. Chaplin’s tweet.  Enjoy.

Apologies for the formatting and that I could not embed the tweet.  I’ve mentioned this blog is an experiment.  Maybe I should take this experiment off Blogspot.

No comments:

Post a Comment