Thursday, March 28, 2019

Joe Biden Smears Clarence Thomas

When I first heard of Joe Biden’s apology to Anita Hill, I immediately marveled that he decided to reopen old wounds like that.
When I heard his statement on the radio, I more than marveled; I went incandescent.  This is what triggered me, if you will:
“A brave lawyer, a really notable woman, Anita Hill, a professor, showed the courage of a lifetime talking about her experience [of] being harassed by Clarence Thomas…”
This assumes, in an important public statement, that Thomas harassed Anita Hill.  I watched those hearings and surrounding analysis closely back in 1991, and I thought and still think it far more likely that Hill was a weaponized liar. The evidence against Thomas was weak at best.  But, for political gain, Biden smeared Justice Thomas anyway. 
He could have just said Hill deserved a better hearing.  I disagree, but I would probably let it pass.  Instead, he smeared Justice Thomas as a sexual harasser all over again.  This is despicable.
Clarence Thomas’ statement back in 1991 speaks to this far better than I can.   

No comments:

Post a Comment